Information wants to be free
Here I've collected
together much that is weird, funny, interesting or just plain
outrageous about people who do bizarre things with computers.
Note that the word "cracking" now carries much of the meaning
formerly associated with "hacking" in an
- Eric Steven Raymond's home page
Also check out OpenContent.org's
OPL and the Free Software
Foundation for good licences for freely distributable
"Bastard Operator From Hell" Travaglia's home page
- See also the new BOFH articles.
- techs' page
- .rain.forest.puppy.'s home page
- Weird name, cool stuff
- Ian Jackson's collection of interesting miscellanea
- Thomas Boutell's site
- David Rothman's homepage
- Andrew Tanenbaum's site
- The author of many quality geek books.
A joke play called "The Vaxorcist"
For DEC (RIP, eaten by Compaq) fans everywhere
- The International Alliance for Compatible Technology
- Diamond Multimedia
- This bunch makes a portable MP3 player
- Classic moments in hacker history
- The ORCA-1 page
- Documents MIT's entry in the 1998 International Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Competition. Their sumbarine hack was really hoopy!
- Some crazy Norwegian dudes implemented IP-over-carrier-pigion
- The University Computer Club
- The UCC (at UWA) is the ultimate geek refuge: the clubroom, in the Guild's Cameron
Hall, has a plethora of terminals, Macs, PCs, X-terms, various Unix boxes and
tons of other working and non-working junk.
- Hackers do things differently. That's the way it is. Check
out the Dvorak keyboard to find out how different you can get...
- And of course, there's Segfault.org
Jargon and Habits
- Geek acronyms
- Collected phrases
There are many hacking terms not covered in the "mainstream"
literature. Some of these include:
- On-the-blocks mode
- running with the case off
- (verb/excl.) to grab or snatch something. Frequently said during the act of doing so.
- The Jargon File
Geeks and hackers enjoy odd foods, beverages and recreational
substances. Some examples include:
Ha Ha Only Serious
One of the things which characterise hackers is their off-beat,
subtle sense of humour.
- Geeks news of a rathy nutty variety.
Conventions, conferences and crews
The New Graffiti
- A list & archive of cracked web sites
I am a geek. The following resources are placed here to help you
relate to your inner geek, whether you are one or not.
The Geek definition page
Marshmallow Peanut Circus
- Visit the Nerdiplex
Last modified: Sun Mar 2 21:55:32 WST 2003