UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-05-18



  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]
  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]


  • [THA] Thomas Hill Almeida
  • [LWH] Lai Weng Han


  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]


  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]


  • [AJT] Alex J. Thatcher
  • [TPG] John Hodge
  • [*OX] Frames White
  • [BOB] Andrew "Bob" Adamson
  • [TRS] James Andrewartha
  • [LDT] Roland Kerr
  • [ROB] Robert Hortin
  • [LGM] Alex Dawson

Meeting opened at 16.09

Confirmation of minutes from 2018-05-11

  • [AJT] supplied the financial records/reports for 2017, not 2016.
  • Camp has been booked from 2018-07-27 to 2018-07-30 (July not June).

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Arrived late, report delivered after arrival.
  • Has a literature review to write.
  • Bought a Panavise.
    • [CFE] Motion to reimburse [GOZ] $155.08 for the Panavise 350.
      • [CHB] seconds.
      • Motion passes: 5 in favour, 1 abstain.

Vice President's Report

  • Absent.

Secretary's Report

  • [TPG] found an old paypal account; now updated & added to uccpass.
  • ACNC Responsible Persons is now up to date
    • Only exec are listed
    • Added ACNC login info to uccpass
  • Sent emails to get feedback on payment providers
    • [*OX] may be able to source a Paypal Here reader to test with
  • Camp RMP is now done; only small changes from last year.
    • Been working on the EMP as well.
  • Went to SOC meeting (see below)
  • Also cleaned up machine room.

Treasurer's Report

  • Still working through 2016 financial records.
  • Semester 1 SOC grants due 1st June.
  • Accounts:
    • Cheque: $5468.78
    • Mastercard: $49.87
    • Guild: $1753.65
  • Been working on camp stuff.
  • Our phone bill costs us $22 per month.
    • [GOZ] That's $264 per year.
    • [FVP] That's more than interest after inflation from our term deposit.
    • [LCY] Is there any legal reason for having a phone?
    • [GOZ] Let's consider getting rid of it.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Absent.

OCM Reports

  • OCMs have nothing to report.

Machine Technical Reports


  • Not dead.


  • PositiveSSL certificate for secure.ucc.asn.au about to expire
    • Still used by IPSec VPN
    • Will be switched over to LetsEncrypt
  • Domain registration for ucc.asn.au about to expire
    • [TRS] recommends VentraIP.
      • $9.63/year, free transfer.
      • 100% AU owned.
      • Minimum 2 year renewal
    • Currently registered with enetica (renewal is $39 / 2 years)
    • [CFE] Motion to budget $50 to renew domain registration for ucc.asn.au with VentraIP.
      • [LCY] seconds.
      • Motion passes unanimously.
      • TODO: [CFE]: Transfer to VentraIP and renew domain registration.


  • Cobra's disk was full; fixed thanks to [LDT].
  • Pinball does not boot; hard drive errors.
  • Other desktops are as broken as usual.


  • Someone keeps unplugging the keyboard on the VT320 behind the couch.

New equipment

  • Machine upgrades and new parts
    • [BOB] please get a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD for Pinball.
      • Cost is $195 + $15 shipping from Kogan.
      • [GOZ] motion to budet $250 to buy a replacement 500GB SSD for Pinball.
        • [CFE] seconds.
        • Motion passes unanimously.
        • TODO: [CFE] to buy 500GB SSD.
    • [THA] is selling some gaming hardware; specs were sent to committee@.
      • AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU: $210
      • ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard: $100
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Waterforce: $750
      • [THA] There have been concerns that we don't need high-end graphics cards like GTX 1080s, we should have more high end cards that don't need to be replaced as often (ie. due to becoming outdated).
      • The GPU has hardly ever been used (except once for testing).
      • [THA] Put the GPU in a machine that has suitable CPU capacity to complement the GPU and swap the existing GPUs around.
    • Discussion about buying parts delayed until [GOZ] arrives.
      • [GOZ] We can build an entirely new machine from the parts; suggestion is to budget around $1300.
      • [THA] expresses interest in writing a full

Drinks and Snacks

  • Need more drinks
    • nullcoke
    • Solo
    • Kole beer
    • [CFE] has no time to go on a drinks run.

[GOZ] arrives at 16:35 carrying a Panavise 350.

  • Need more thin snacks

External Entities


  • Not checked.


  • [FVP] and [GOZ] went to SOC meeting.
  • Semester 1 grants due 2018-06-01 17:00 (about 2 weeks time).
    • [CFE] will be spending weekend scanning receipts and doing treasurer stuff.
    • TODO: [CFE] to do SOC grants.
  • Guild is looking into a can recycling system called "Crunch".
    • 10c per can or 15 "Crunch Credits"
    • UCC could have made around $210 by recycling cans bought this year alone
    • [GOZ] By our best estimate, Cameron Hall produces around 15000 cans per year.
    • [CFE] We have a can crusher and can bin, almost nobody uses it.
    • [GOZ] We should look into this and encourage members to recycle.

Other Affairs

  • Mail not checked. We don't know if Electrolux sent any more invoices.


[ROB] UWA Sports eSports Event

  • [GOZ] bumped into [ROB] sometime during the week.
    • It sounds like things have been delayed.

Quiz Night

  • UCC is the only club that kept proper records of its ticket sales.
  • [GOZ] The other clubs have royally f***ed up. They have literally no idea how much profit they made.
    • There was documentation available on how to run a quiz night-
    • [KAT] It was available on the UniSFA google drive.
    • [GOZ] It was also available in the Unigames archives.
    • [FVP] Nobody on the quizmittee seemed to have any idea where the documentation could have been, even after asking repeatedly.
    • [GOZ] Don't minute this, because it will probably be mean.
    • [GOZ] (REDACTED)
    • [GOZ] This year's quizmittee needs to compile previous years' records and all the mistakes made this year.
    • [GOZ] We need to figure out a good way to start keeping records that actually roll over each year.
    • [GOZ] It would be nice if we can introduce a decent handover system. Currently UCC's records are trash.
    • [GOZ] Quizmittee needs to sort out what is happening with profit distribution.
  • [FVP] Next Quizmittee meeting is Monday 12pm.
    • [CHB] Can [CFE] attend the meeting?
    • [CFE] Yeah, sure.

Movie nights

  • [KAT] They worked really well at the start of semester, attendance dropped after study break.
  • [GOZ] Most people have projects that are due shortly after study break.
  • [KAT] Probably good to run again at start of next semester.

Sysadmin "Tech-talk" workshop

  • To be run after study break.


  • [GOZ] Blast! I came up with a proposed list of activities but left it at home.
  • [GOZ] I'm a postgraduate student, I don't remember when semesters are.
    • We have 2 weeks left! Need to get posters done ASAP!
    • [GOZ] points at [KAT] and says something about posters.
    • [KAT] doesn't really have much time.
    • [GOZ] Motion to budget $50 for design of camp posters.
      • [CHB] seconds.
      • Motion passes unanimously.
    • TODO: [KAT] to organise / make a poster for Camp.
  • [FVP] EMP is being written currently, should be done and handed in by end of next week.
    • We need a draft of the menu. Looks at [KAT].
    • We need details of the Food Safety course we are using.
    • Need to decide on ticket price.
      • Current approximate ticket price is $100 per person.
      • [GOZ] Look at Unigames camp pricing and don't go too far over it.
      • [GOZ] We expect to make a small loss on camp.
    • Need an agenda for the EMP. [GOZ] has written a draft.
      • [GOZ] is thinking of bring his vive, and UCC will bring its vive.
      • Competitive VR pictionary! How exciting!
    • [KAT] They recently renovated - double check the power outlet map.
      • [CFE] found the power distribution map from last year.
      • [GOZ] is probably going on the Unigames camp and will check the power situation.

[LDT] Planetside event

  • Event was going to be run this afternoon after the meeting.
  • Nobody else is in the clubroom right now, so one could say it has not been a huge success.

[KAT] leaves.

Action Items from 2018-05-11

  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews.
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop - to do after exams.
  • [FVP]: Update ACNC documentation - done.
  • [FVP]: Send email to committee@ with business case for payment gateway/EFTPOS options - done.
  • [CFE] and [FVP]: Write the EMP for Camp - actually in progress, nearly done.
  • [CFE]: Untangle financial records for 2016. We wish him luck.
  • [LCY]: Organise first-year unit study events with [EAR].
  • [JWB]: Write storage & mailbox applications.
  • Committee: Everyone with RSA certificates, please send them to [CFE].

General Business

  • [JWB]: AMSA (Australian Medical Student Association) is holding a convention in Perth, July 2-8
    • Organisers want to borrow the vive for part of that period
    • May be able to do a shoutout to UCC
    • [GOZ] We need more information.
      • What will it be used for?
  • [FVP] Talk to Alex Dawson [LGM] about selling the BeBoxes on behalf of UCC.
    • [GOZ] They are very interesting devices that are getting no use and no value from sitting here and rusting away.
    • [CFE] They are valuable but not to us.
    • Committee is in consensus that the BeBoxes can be sold at a fair price.
    • TODO: [FVP] contact [LGM] about selling the BeBoxes.
  • [FVP] Follow up on long term thefts (see theftbook)
    • [GOZ] Definitely follow up some of those.
  • [FVP] Johnson [LWH] wants to run an event about blockchain development at UCC
    • Has contacted Prof. David Glance who can potentially provide support.
    • [LWH] An introductory event about what blockchain is and how it works.
      • It is most commonly associated with cryptocurrencies, however it has other uses
    • [GOZ] An event about the technical aspects of blockchain, maybe with some information about cryptography, would definitely be an event that UCC would like to support.
    • [GOZ] Tech talks can be run in the clubroom using the projector and notice of about a week.
    • [GOZ] Could be a good tech talk to run during camp, right now is just not a great time to run it.
    • [FVP] will stay in contact with [LWH] about running this event.
  • [FVP] Buy a scanner. Cheapest from Officeworks is around $170, suggest buying secondhand or asking for donations.
    • [GOZ] We used to have a scanner - it may have belonged to one of our past treasurers.
    • [CFE] The only person who has complained about not having a scanner is me, and I'm happy to go down to the library when necessary.
    • [GOZ] A scanner, while cheap, probably wouldn't be of great value to the club.
    • [GOZ] A professional document scanner or nice multifunction printer (with a document feeder) could be useful to the club.
    • [CFE] Something worthwhile researching.
    • TODO: [FVP] to research multifunction printers.
  • [FVP] Upgrade 802.11 infrastructure. Discuss budgeting.
    • [GOZ] is happy to completely redo the wifi.
    • [FVP] Price ranges (per access point)
      • Less than $50: cheap, dodgy devices that probably don't support OpenWRT
      • Between $50 and $100: Decent brands that OpenWRT runs on.
      • $100 to $150: Something of reasonable quality such as Ubiquiti.
    • [GOZ] suggests about a $500 budget for the upgrades.
  • [FVP] Incentives for people who do snack/coke runs & refill machine.
    • [GOZ] Since there's a very good chance we will lose the cupboard space anyway, we may as well move the drinks back downstairs.
    • [GOZ] Maybe should incentivise taking the bins down as well - they are overflowing far too often.
    • [GOZ] Unigames has a good model for this - free cans to people who take the bins down.
    • Trial incentive scheme:
      • Tier 0: $0.96 dispense credit
        • Taking out the bin when it is full (by a door member's judgement).
        • Filling up the snack / coke machine.
      • Tier 1: $5.12 dispense credit
        • Snack runs (filling up the car with drinks/snacks)
    • [GOZ] Motion to trial the above-listed incentives until 2018-06-23 (end of June), effective immediately.
      • [CFE] seconds.
      • Motion passes unanimously.
    • TODO: [GOZ] to send email about incentives.
  • [GOZ] We need better handover documentation - discuss further at next meeting.
    • [CFE] The wiki is currently our best option. Some folder that is easy to access would also be useful.
    • [GOZ] Make a committee user so we can put the committee documentation in its public-html.
      • TODO: [CFE] to implement committee handover documentation archive in a suitable format.
  • [GOZ] Other alternatives for committee communication - discuss at next meeting.
    • Slack works very well for PCS.
    • Almost half of committee is absent, so this shall be discussed next week.
  • [FVP] Decide which payment provider(s) to commit to
    • [FVP] wants to play with both Square and Paypal.
    • [*OX] might be able to borrow a Paypal Here device for us to test.
    • [FVP] Square has better rates for online payments, Paypal Here has a better card reader.
    • [GOZ] Motion to authorize [FVP] to apply for Square and Paypal Here on behalf of the UCC.
      • [CFE] seconds.
      • Motion passes unanimously.
  • [FVP] Officially wishes [LDT] good luck with the Planetside event.

Meeting closed at 18:12.

Current Action Items


  • [GOZ]: Send email about door incentives.


  • [JWB]: Write storage & mailbox applications.


  • [CFE]: Untangle financial records for 2016. We wish him luck.
  • [CFE]: Transfer ucc.asn.au to VentraIP and renew domain registration.
  • [CFE]: Buy 500GB SSD for Pinball.
  • [CFE]: Write and submit SOC grant applications.
  • [CFE]: Implement committee handover documentation archive in a suitable format.


  • [CFE] and [FVP]: Finish writing and submit the EMP for Camp.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop - to do after exams.
  • [FVP]: Contact [LGM] about selling the BeBoxes.
  • [FVP]: Research options for multifunction printers.


  • [KAT]: Get a poster for Camp.
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules.


  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews.
  • [LCY]: Organise first-year unit study events with [EAR].
  • Committee: Everyone with RSA / First Aid certificates, please send them to [CFE].

Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 23:15 on 2018-06-27