UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-03-23



All committee members were present:

  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]
  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]
  • [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]
  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]


  • [AJT] Alex Thatcher
  • [CHS] Oscar Hermoso
  • [MLG] Grace Rosario
  • [DJF] Chris Forbes
  • [TFM] Thomas Miller
  • [EAR] Elton Rodrigues

Meeting opened at 16:11.

Note: Committee did not have full notice for this meeting so we intend to ratify any decisions made here at the following meeting.

Confirmation of minutes from previous meeting

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • President for 3 days! (Mistakes were made)
  • First session of Introduction to Programming (following Learn to Linux)

Vice President's Report

  • Nothing to report.

Treasurer's Report

  • Went down to Westpac and filled out forms.
  • [GOZ] accounts are viewable but we cannot do anything with them yet
  • Account balance:
    • Westpack check account: $4875.32
    • Guild has god knows how much
    • Mastercard: $49.85
  • Several pending reimbursements to be done as soon as details are available
  • Financial reports for 2017 to be finished by Sunday.
  • TODO: [CFE] will contact [AJT] regarding missing financial data
  • Oscar [CHS] should upload remainder of old minutes "today"

Secretary's Report

  • Sent out emails & created Facebook event for "UCC @ RFLAN 60"
    • Received email from RFLAN secretary Tim Raphael (raphael.timothy at gmail.com); group bookings would be possible - send names.
    • Grace Rosario [MLG] sent email regarding volunteering at RFLAN event.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Nothing to report.

OCM Reports

  • [KAT]: Intro to Programming event was successful
    • Movie night was a success.
    • [JWB]: In previous committee meetings, regular events have been said to be good due as a way to answer question "what time is good to meet new people?"
    • Suggestion to formalise project night event on Mondays

Machine Technical Reports


  • Servers appear to be functional.
  • TODO: [CFE] will work through remaining Active Directory glitches in free time
  • Roland [LDT] has attempted to get air conditioning repaired under warranty - so far this has been unsuccessful.
  • Previous committee had already approved budget for aircon repair/replacement.
    • Air conditioning has been offline for extended period.
    • [GOZ] Arguably better value for money to buy a new one.
    • TODO: [GOZ] will coordinate with [LDT] to eventually buy a fully new replacement air conditioning unit.
    • Committee unanimously approves of [GOZ] organising new aircon.


  • WiFi network has been flaky.
    • [CFE] is able to but does not want to touch it.
    • TODO: [JWB] will look into it.
    • Unifi access points (courtesy of Campus Management) appear to be using entire 2.4GHz spectrum


  • Tom Almeida [tommoa] has inspected desktops and taken notes on all hardware of desktops. Thanks.
  • [GOZ] suggests to print cards for machines to advertise their specs.
  • [CFE] to consider reinstalling monitoring software to automatically keep machine info up to date.
  • TODO: [KAT] and [CFE] to coordinate printing cards for machine specs and general clubroom rules.


  • Issue with lights flickering has been fixed!

New equipment

  • New committee has been installed.

Drinks and Snacks

  • We have drinks and snacks.
  • TODO: [JWB] will yell at Oscar [CHS] regarding putting V in the Coke Zero slot.
  • Thanks to Chris [DJF] for doing the drinks run when he didn't have to.

External Affairs


  • Nobody has checked mail.


  • Committee needs to sign the tenancy contract.

Other Entities

  • See RFLAN.


Easter LAN

  • Second weekend of study break.
  • Only two weeks left to organise the event.
  • TODO:
    • [JWB] shall take care of Easter LAN event management plan.
    • [CFE] to do technical setup
    • [KAT] to do marketing


  • [GOZ] Camp is not booked yet. It should be booked. Very soon.
  • Have to find a weekend, preferably late in midyear break, that does not clash with Unigames camp, after midyear (in order to ensure that people are 18+)
  • [GOZ] suggests contacting Camp Leschenaultia to book. $400 deposit will be required.
  • TODO: [GOZ] to book camp and pay deposit out of pocket. Hopefully be reimbursed later.
  • [GOZ] may be at a conference at the time of Camp.
  • TODO: [FVP] to oversee and delegate organisation of the Camp.
    • [JWB] and [CFE] are willing to assist with paperwork

Quiz Night

  • [CHB] is the Dark Lord (question writing, judging and MC)
  • [FVP] is the other event representative


  • [GOZ] is going to do Student Leadership Training for Programming Competition Society (PCS)
  • At least 2 members are required to have done SLT.
  • [CFE], [FVP] and [JWB] to comlete SLT in leadup to the Camp. (4-5 April)

Action Items

  • First meeting; hence no action items from previous meeting.

General Business


  • TODO: [GOZ] to perform account locking.
  • All executive members must sign to renew the tenancy contract with the Guild.
  • [GOZ] recommends to officially review and reinstate all policies. (next week)
  • TODO: [JWB] to chase down [CHS] and find out about machine keys

  • frekk:

    • Discuss possible replacement aircon (see Machine/Technical)
    • Booking of camp venue (see above)
    • RFLAN team sponsorship (see above)
    • Contact UWA IT regarding potential removal of excess Unifi hotspots in Cameron Hall (not going to happen)
    • Buy replacement parts to upgrade/rebuild Porcupine ([GOZ] leave until after inventory)
    • Consider upgrading Clownfish as well ([GOZ] also to be left until after inventory)
  • [TFM]: Is agenda script going to be used again?

    • Yes. Agenda script will be used.
  • [TFM]: If so please consider the email I am about to send to committe-only@
    • Potential tech talks about object-oriented programming.
    • TODO: [GOZ] to follow up.

Door Applications

  • Unable to resolve this at the moment. Real committee meeting must be held first.
  • [GOZ] suggests purging the door group.
    • Elton [EAR] recommends incentivising door group membership.
    • [GOZ] wants everyone currently in the door group to submit their application and for the Committee to vote to reinstate their membership.
    • [GOZ] notes that UniSFA and Unigames do a "door purge" every 6 months.
    • Committee is not in consensus regarding a door reset, thus it becomes a matter of discussion for a future meeting.

Meeting closed at 17:49.

Current Action Items

In no particular order;

  • [CFE] will contact [AJT] regarding missing financial reports
  • [GOZ] to follow up about tech talks
  • [JWB] to chase down [CHS] and find out about machine keys
  • [GOZ] to perform account locking.
  • [FVP] to oversee and delegate organisation of the Camp.
  • [GOZ] to book camp and pay deposit if necessary.
  • Easter LAN:
    • [JWB] shall write event management plan.
    • [CFE] to do technical setup
    • [KAT] to do marketing
  • [JWB] will yell at Oscar [CHS] regarding putting V in the Coke Zero slot.
  • [KAT] and [CFE] to coordinate printing cards for machine specs and general clubroom rules.
  • [CFE] will work through remaining Active Directory glitches in free time

Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 13:32 on 2018-07-02