UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-04-27



  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]
  • [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]
  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
  • [TFD] Timothy "Tim" Davies


  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]


  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]


  • [TBB] Alfred Burgess
  • [BOB] Andrew Adamson
  • Nick Bannon

Meeting opened at 16:02

Confirmation of minutes from previous meeting

  • Nobody objected so it's fine.

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Arrived late.
  • Has done first aid training.
  • Last meeting we discussed UCC doing event for Screw Week.
    • That has been discontinued.
    • After discussion about what UCC can actually do, they were not so keen any more.
    • Can't teach something which is "useful in everyday life" in an hour.

Vice President's Report

  • Thought about door policy
    • Even made Facebook group chat.
  • Practised cooking skills in preparation for Camp.

Secretary's Report

  • Bought some crates and pencil holders.
  • [CHB] Motion to reimburse [FVP] $64.95 for crates and pencil holders.
    • [CFE] seconds.
    • Motion passes: 4 in favour, 2 abstain.
  • Going to run linux sysadmin course. Need to get interest.
    • Organised meeting and nobody came.
      • [CFE] Wheel members can't come to anything during the day.
    • Advertising via FB & ucc-announce & posters.

[GOZ] arrives at 16:08

Treasurer's Report

  • Accounts
    • Cheque: $5212.92
    • Mastercard: $49.87
    • Guild: $1753.65
  • [CFE] I need to be reimbursed:
    • $243.39 for drinks/snack run
    • [CFE] Motion to reimburse [CFE] $243.39 for drinks/snacks.
      • [KAT] seconds.
      • 5 vote in favour, 1 abstains.
  • I got us a kettle for free, don't know how long it will last us
  • Still waiting on Art of Electronics

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Did first aid training.

OCM Reports

  • [KAT] has nothing to report.
  • [CHB] did first aid training.

Machine Technical Reports


  • Sent email to tech, [CFE] and [FVP] upgrading molmol on Saturday and everything will break.


  • Some things will be changed with murasoi which will also break everything.


  • Pinball: [TBB] is going to fix speakers properly later.
  • Porcupine: [BOB] was trying to fix it and it still doesn't seem to work properly.
  • Chubsucker: login function is broken.
  • [GOZ] is plotting and scheming about virtualising all our desktops and turning them into thin clients. (gaming capable!)


  • [JWB] We need a new AUX cable for the audio setup (stereo-3.5mm RCA jack)
    • TODO: [JWB] buy AUX cable.

New equipment

  • Crates for project storage and pencil holders.

Drinks and Snacks

  • [CFE] did a drinks run. Already reimbursed.

External Affairs


  • Didn't check.


  • NEED to sign tenancy contract.
    • [GOZ] is busy writing clubroom applications for PCS.
  • Storage reallocations: we have until 20/05/2018 to sort that out.
    • Almost guaranteed to lose some cupboard space.
    • [GOZ] After the meeting we should investigate cupboard contents.
      • [GOZ] We should do a quick inventory of what is likely to be chucked.
      • [JWB] Needs to be sent out to lists for oldguard approval before anything happens.
    • [JWB] is willing to write the storage application.
  • Mailbox reallocations: we need an address because we are an incorporation.
    • TODO: [JWB] will look into that.

Other Entities


  • [GOZ] Despite the fact that most of our events so far have been a flop, good job on the number of events and quality of organisation.

Quiz Night

  • [CHB] and [FVP] are meeting the Quizmittee for a meeting after this meeting.
  • [KAT] has all the tickets printed for UCC! A grand total of 9!
  • [FVP] and [CHB] will investigate ticketing situation.
    • UniSFA has set up online ticket sales with Qpay.
  • [GOZ] PCS is not officially involved in this event but I can promote it there.
  • [JWB] "[Those are] some god-awful posters."
    • [KAT] The poster is almost illegible and not well made.
    • [GOZ] Please make sure we get better posters.
    • [KAT] Do it quickly! The event is on in 2 weeks!
  • [CHB] does not respond when asked about progress of question-writing.

[CFE] announces that Chubsucker is now fixed! Much rejoicing!

Movie nights

  • [KAT] Very underwhelming event. Only 2 people attended.
  • Running another one soon.
  • [LCY] did not end up running a movie night, so [KAT] has taken over again.

Hearthstone Tournament

  • [TFD] Too few people attended.
  • [KAT] There was no clear event.
  • [LCY] was absent. To be discussed next week.

Sysadmin "Tech-talk" workshop

  • [FVP] Nobody came to meeting so I will organise another one.
  • [CFE] is happy to help with organisation.


  • [GOZ] From the feedback on polls and talking to people, it is best to run on the 20-23 July.
  • [CFE] will start to write an Event Management Plan for camp.
    • [FVP] will help with that later.
  • [FVP] Does UCC have any info about past camps and EMPs?
    • [GOZ] Don't know. Unigames has good records of their camps.
  • [GOZ] The camp should have some activities other than "computer stuff"
    • Tech talks
    • CTF? We don't have the expertise to set that up.
    • Programming competitions.
    • [JWB] Run events during the day that do not involve computers.
    • Swimming: Near a lake, but we'd need Bronze Medallion trained staff.
  • [KAT] Has been looking into costing of different meals for catering.
    • Wants to do a taco night.
    • [KAT] has done Food Safety Training.
    • [GOZ] Everyone on committee should do FSA, it's half an hour online and free.
  • We need to set up the camp network properly a week or so in advance.
    • [CFE] Don't forget to buy a SIM card!
      • Last year: 30-50GB was good.
      • [GOZ] Slow internet/data limits force people to interact rather than just download stuff.
        • Internet via WAFreeNet is faster than most peoples' home connections.
    • Technical setup: use Squid and so on for caching.

Previous Action Items

  • [CFE] to retrieve financial reports from [AJT]. still not done
  • [GOZ] to book camp after performing "Market Research". now reaffirmed, shall happen soon
  • [KAT] and [CFE] to print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules. not happened yet
    • [CFE] has installed LibreNMS which might help.
  • [CFE] to add [KAT] to committee role on Discord. done
  • [FVP] to put to-buy list somewhere suitable. not quite done
    • Buy a small whiteboard specifically for a buy list.
  • [FVP] to organise project bench cleanliness standards and nice tape markings. needs tape
    • [FVP] might go past Bunnings on Saturday morning and get stuff.
    • [CFE] has been meaning to donate a roll of electrical tape.
  • [LCY], [JWB] and [CHB] shall continue to discuss door policy reviews. still underway
  • [LCY] to talk to [EAR] about first-year unit study events. not done at all
  • Executive to sign tenancy contract. - MUST DO!
  • [FVP] to confirm whether Quiz Night EMP requires club President contact details. will do in half an hour
  • [CFE] to purchase The Art of Electronics. - waiting for it to arrive
  • [JWB] to talk to Sam about door member responsibilities. - done

General Business

  • [THA] Improve deskspace (mouse-wise) by reducing size of keyboards.
    • Keyboard which retains all keys but saves space: "Input Club Kira"
    • [GOZ] Not for the club, horrifyingly expensive (almost $400 AUD).
    • [GOZ] Numpads are not good for UCC, the average member is unlikely to use it often.
    • [JWB] Agrees that most people won't use numpads, but there are many people who do not use that much mouse space either.
  • Stefan from Health Student Society wants to ask about UCC providing fun, interactive video games for large number of people.
    • Thursday 10th May in CCZ (first floor of Guild building)
    • Fun console games like Jackbox.
      • [GOZ] owns Jackbox.
    • [GOZ] Someone could set up a projector and a laptop and run Jackbox; UCC doesn't need to do that.
    • We could be interested but we need to know more info.
    • TODO: [FVP] to contact Stefan from HSS and find out more information.
    • Contact address: [email protected]
  • [FVP] Payment gateway: Square
    • [JWB] and [CFE] identified as "office holders" of the "association"
      • Need to provide address, DOB, govt. ID under Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006.
      • If Square requires updated details every year then it isn't worth it, would probably be better to ask Westpac instead.
      • TODO: [FVP] to research Westpac options.
    • [GOZ] spoke to someone recently who highly recommends Square.
    • 2% surcharge on all things. Standalone device is $59 from Officeworks.
      • [FVP] Falls well within UCC's profit margins.
      • [GOZ] is willing to support this.
  • [FVP] Buy about 20 matching crates to replace currently used ones.
    • [GOZ] is willing to support a reasonable investment to make the clubroom neater.
    • Something to do following a tech cleanup. Currently crates work fine although a couple are broken.

[KAT] leaves at 17:16

  • [FVP] Cleaning up the clubroom.
    • Run a tech cleanup. (Nick: 3 months notice)
    • A few weeks notice should be sufficient if run on a Saturday.
    • Storage reallocations mean that we are unlikely to be able to justify holding cupboard space in Loft
    • May need to get rid of large volume of stuff quite quickly.
    • [CFE] Official Tenancy busybee is 22 July. Hold tech cleanup 2 weeks before that.
      • [GOZ] That's during UCC camp...
      • [GOZ] Tell Guild that we are doing our cleanup earlier then.
    • Suitable date is 23 June, 4 weeks before Camp and last day of semester 1 exams.
      • TODO: [FVP] to send emails about tech cleanup.
  • [GOZ] wants to put a box near the door for things that people ask "Why do we have this?"
    • People, especially non-wheel, find things that really should be thrown out, but do not have the authority to do so.
    • Best to happen after a tech cleanup.

Meeting closed at 17:32

Current Action Items

  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews.
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop
  • [LCY]: Talk to [EAR] about first-year unit study events
  • EXEC: Sign tenancy contract!


  • Buy a Panavise 350.
  • Book camp for 20-23 July.


  • Buy 3.5mm stereo AUX cable.
  • Write storage application
  • Investigate mailbox reallocation.


  • Buy tape from Bunnings
  • Purchase small whiteboard to use for to-buy list.
  • Contact Stefan ([email protected]) from HSS and find out more information about potential collaborative event.
  • Research using Westpac for payment processing
  • Check with Square about committee changeover procedures.
  • Send emails about tech cleanup (23 June).
  • Define project bench cleanliness standards and mark with tape.
  • Confirm whether Quiz Night EMP requires club President contact details - will do in half an hour.
    • Answer: yes.


  • Start working on EMP for Camp.
  • Get the financial reports from [AJT].

Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 23:15 on 2018-06-27