UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-05-04



  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]
  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]
  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]


  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]


  • [LDT] Roland Kerr
  • [EAR] Elton Rodriguez
  • [BOB] Andrew Adamson
  • [AJT] Alex Thatcher
  • [ROB] Robert Hortin

Meeting opened at 16.07

Confirmation of minutes from previous meeting

  • Minutes are confirmed.

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Ordered the Panavise.
  • Booked the Camp, however it remains in the unofficial booking stage.
    • Still need to send forms.
    • Invoice has been sent for the $400 deposit.
    • To be discussed under "Camp".
  • Also bought some tape, so we now have lots of it.

Vice President's Report

  • AUX cables are weirdly expensive - $5-$10 per cable.
  • Signed the tenancy contract 5 minutes ago.
  • Thought about door policy sometime during the week.

Secretary's Report

  • Sent an email to Square about dealing with committee changeovers, no reply.
    • Westpac "Genie" only applicable for sole traders and single directorship companies.
    • TODO: [FVP] Inquire further into Square / Westpac payment processing.
  • Bought some tape and a small whiteboard!
    • The memes have not stopped, but now there's space for memes as well as the actual content.
  • Organised another meeting for the sysadmin workshop, 4pm on Wednesday.
    • Nobody turned up; probably nobody got the email.
  • Emailed Stefan about HSS event, no reply.
  • Sent emails about tech cleanup.
  • Checked the mail.
    • Two identical invoices from Electrolux were received.
    • [CFE] That makes 4 invoices in total.
    • See [LDT]'s section in General Business.

Treasurer's Report

  • Accounts:
    • Cheque: $5686.52
    • Mastercard: $49.87
    • Guild: $1753.65
  • I need to be reimbursed $99.26 for The Art of EE
  • Reimburse [FVP] for the tape and whiteboard - $32.13
    • [GOZ] Motion to reimburse $32.13 to [FVP]
    • [CFE] seconds.
    • Motion passes: 6 in favour, 1 abstains.
  • Reimburse [GOZ] for the tape - $39.59
    • [CFE] Motion to reimburse $39.59 to [GOZ]
    • [FVP] seconds.
    • Motion passes: 6 in favour, 1 abstains.
  • Started working on the camp EMP, recieved a copy of the 2016 and 2017 camp docs.
    • [GOZ] has a wiring diagram of the Camp building.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • The Fresher Representative is absent; apologies were sent.

OCM Reports


  • Ran a movie night.
  • Talked to Unigames to get costing information for the menu at camp.


  • A number of factors led to literally zero attendance at the Hearthstone Tournament.
  • It looks like Facebook is no longer reliable. Someone set up the Discord events channel.
    • [GOZ] Large Facebook groups don't allow you to invite everyone in the group.
    • [GOZ] The club used to rely on mailing lists. Now nobody uses email.
  • [CHB] Talking to [EAR]: by the time I did, it was already too late for midsems.
    • [GOZ] is happy to help running educational events.


  • Thought about door policy.
  • Has written some Quiz Night questions.

Machine Technical Reports


  • Molmol was upgraded on the weekend
  • Accidentally broke the koha db, but we have backups
    • [BOB] has been fixing it...?
  • [FVP] contacted Blair who maintains Koha.


  • Molmol and Murasoi are on 10G now, things only broke a little bit
  • Routing (especially IPv6) was broken for a while after the maintenance was over.
  • Mooneye broke and so mailing list emails sent after 28/04/2018 were delayed until 03/05/2018.


  • Cobra is still sort of broken.
    • Discrete graphics seems to be unreliable.
    • People seem to plug the DVI cable into the internal graphics when it stops working
    • [CFE] The same dodgy graphics card has been put in desktops all over the place.


  • We now have a working terminal installed on the shelf.
    • [GOZ] Terminals are not in a convenient location (behind the couch).
    • [CFE] At least 2 terminals are broken.
      • Another one turns on and has no display.

New equipment

  • Tape and whiteboard.

Drinks and Snacks

  • Soft drinks are now stored in the cupboards upstairs in the loft.
    • They are now secured and not in peoples' way.
    • [CFE] Would be nice to get a cupboard opposite the vending machines.
    • Should help with the storage application.
    • Hence the terminals are now on the shelf downstairs.
  • Quiz night tickets are available in the snack machine.

External Entities


  • See Secretary's Report above.


  • Next SOC meeting is on 16/05/2018.
    • [JWB] and [FVP] are happy to go.
  • Exec has signed tenancy contract.
    • Needs to be handed in to Guild.


[ROB] UWA Sports eSports Event

  • [ROB]: UWA Sports wants to run an eSports event in the Loft.
    • Discuss at next meeting.

Hearthstone Tournament

  • [LCY] Nobody showed up.

Quiz Night

  • [CHB] We need some posters in the clubroom.
  • TODO: [CHB] make sure that someone prints more Quiz Night posters and that they get to the UCC.

Movie nights

  • [KAT] We should temporarily discontinue movie nights until exams are over.
    • Distinct dropoff in interest; not worth running currently.

Sysadmin "Tech-talk" workshop

  • [FVP] Nobody showed up to the proposed planning meeting.
    • [CFE] Do the planning on mailing lists / IRC
    • [CFE] Nobody comes to planning meetings.


  • [GOZ] has booked the venue and is going to pay the deposit.
    • Camp was booked on the 27-30/06/2018
    • [GOZ] Motion to budget $400 for booking of Camp Leschenaultia.
      • [JWB] seconds
      • Motion passes unanimously.
    • TODO: [GOZ] to pay the deposit.
  • [KAT] What have we thought about doing apart from "computing activities"?
    • [GOZ] I've run tech talks at Camp in the past quite alright with [333].
    • Suggestion: bring a football to camp to let people kick it around outside.
    • [GOZ] I can run a programming competition at the camp. With some planning.
    • Steal from Unigames: run a Quiz night!
    • If anyone has good ideas, please let [CFE] or [FVP] know!

Previous Action Items

  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews - in progress
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules - in progress
    • [CFE] Servers are kind-of inventoried, ish.
    • [JWB] I want the terminals to be inventoried as well.
    • [FVP] considering taking photos of items around clubroom and mailing out to get info about it.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop
    • Attempts were made.
    • [GOZ] Keep trying please, it would be cool.
  • [LCY]: Talk to [EAR] about first-year unit study events
    • [LCY] Should start looking for people now to be ready for end of semester.
  • EXEC: Sign tenancy contract! - done
    • TODO: [FVP] to give it to Guild finance.


  • Buy a Panavise 350 - bought, on the way
  • Book camp for 20-23 July - booked, need to pay deposit & paperwork


  • Buy 3.5mm stereo AUX cable - not done
  • Write storage application - in progress
  • Investigate mailbox reallocation - in progress


  • Buy tape from Bunnings - done
  • Purchase small whiteboard to use for to-buy list - done
  • Contact Stefan ([email protected]) from HSS and find out more information about potential collaborative event - done
  • Research using Westpac for payment processing - in progress
  • Check with Square about committee changeover procedures - in progress
  • Send emails about tech cleanup (23 June) - done
  • Define project bench cleanliness standards and mark with tape - not done
  • Confirm whether Quiz Night EMP requires club President contact details - done


  • Start working on EMP for Camp - in progress
  • Get the financial reports from [AJT] - in progress
    • [AJT] has time this weekend! Finally!

General Business

  • Door applications:
    • Tom Almeida (tommoa)
      • Sorry, we forgot about it from last week.
      • [GOZ] Motion to add tommoa to door.
        • [CFE] seconds.
        • Motion passes: 5 in favour, 2 abstain.
  • [BOB] provided suggestions for an event run in the loft to facilitate more tech talks/workshops etc.
    • [GOZ] Replacing camp with a conference - an interesting idea.
      • Something to run after camp.
      • Add a rolling note in Events to remind us about it sometime in second semester.
    • [KAT] UniSFA has considered doing something similar previously.
  • [JWB] Should we have a seperate category for those present who are not members of committee? Just a thought.
    • Makes it easier to check which committee members actually showed up.
  • [FVP] Someone should try to sell all the stuff that [BOB] has donated to eBay
    • [CFE] can have a look and list some items that he actually understands.
  • [LDT] Air conditioning status update.
    • Invoice for inspection arrived from Electrolux.
    • Our world is fundamentally broken.
    • There is a specific snake-fighting arena that I would have to hurl myself into in order to waive the charges.
    • Best to ignore the invoices for the time being.
    • The delivery of the air conditioner is not covered under warranty, so we will have to pay that. Estimated cost is about $110.
    • Will try to waive all the repair costs.
    • Not a split system aircon so the warranty should be valid for more than 2 years.
    • The work should have been done but they have not found the correct model of compressor so it will take longer.
  • [KAT] will be unavailable for any and all clubroom duties between 21/05/2018 to 6/06/2018.
  • [CHB] will also be out of the country around end of June to 03/07/2018.

Meeting closed at 17.15

Current Action Items

  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews.
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop
  • [LCY]: Talk to [EAR] about first-year unit study events
  • [FVP]: Sumbit tenancy contract to Guild finance.
  • [FVP] Inquire further into Square / Westpac payment processing.
  • [GOZ]: Pay deposit for Camp.
  • [CHB]: Make sure that someone prints more Quiz Night posters and that they get to the UCC.
  • [JWB]: Buy 3.5mm stereo AUX cable
  • [JWB]: Write storage application
  • [JWB]: Investigate mailbox reallocation
  • [CFE]: Start working on EMP for Camp
  • [CFE]: Get the financial reports from [AJT]

Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 23:15 on 2018-06-27