UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-07-31



  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]
  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]


  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]


  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]


  • [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]
  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]


  • [superoo7], [MTL], [EAR], [RME], [THA]

Meeting _finally_ opened at 10:41:31, almost an hour late.

Confirmation of minutes from previous meeting

  • Minutes from previous meeting have not been uploaded yet.

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • [GOZ] wants [JWB] to do the whenisgood to decide our next meeting time.
  • Camp happened, I am more than a little dead.

Vice President's Report

  • Was long.
  • Did the shopping thing and other various campy things.
    • Walked around the lake, that was nice.
    • Food could have been worse, had leftovers for lunch yesterday, it was nice.
    • Can now kind of play the saxophone.
    • Now know how to split wood.

Secretary's Report

  • Checked mail
  • Camp. Was fun. Food. Much food. Too much food.
    • [GIR] has a large amount of pumpkin at home.
  • 3D printer has arrived, please reimburse me.
    • Budget of $350 to buy Anycubic Kossel Linear Plus 2.0 3D printer was approved in writing by 5 committee members prior to meeting.
    • TODO: [CFE] to reimburse [FVP] $318.34 AUD for 3D printer.
  • Made a camp crate filled with things like alfoil, sauces, jams and knives.
    • Teatowels were put out in the loft to dry, labelled with [UCC] on the labels.

Treasurer's Report

  • Treasurer is not.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Still alive.
  • Learned to play Rockband (badly).
  • Convinced a bunch of attendees to climb childrens playground equipment.

OCM Reports

  • Committee notes a distinct lack of OCMs at the meeting today.
  • [CHB] arrives at 10:56:21


  • Went to camp, played ET, figured out why mortars are bad.

Machine Technical Reports


  • Loveday is back in the rack! Not sure if it should be turned on since it could break proxmox quorum?!


  • Beatentrack was still configured as the router in DHCP just after we left, broke UCC clubroom internet for a while.
  • Camp network worked well.
  • [GOZ] is claiming the SIM card back since it is registered in their name.


  • Were not on desks for a while, now back on desks again.

New equipment

  • Anycubic Kossel Linear Plus 2.0 3D printer, in a large cardboard box in the machine room.
    • [GOZ] wants to run an event for building it and getting it up and running.
  • Knives, a gift from [GOZ].

Drinks and Snacks

  • Anything left over from camp is now in the snack machine or the machine room, should be added to dispense soon.

External Entities


  • Postcard from [MTL]


  • Tenancy busybee was rescheduled to... sometime in the future. Thanks tenancy.

Other Affairs

  • Corsair water cooler has probably run out of warranty by now, should be looked into ASAP.
    • [LCY] last talked to [EAR] about it about a month ago, said it would be under warranty for another month or so.
    • [JWB] reckons it was around $90 when we bought it.
    • [GOZ] We are very unlikely to have the paperwork, so it would be a lot of work to get it pushed through ACL.
    • Not an issue for committee meetings.
  • Last 4 phone bills have not been paid, [CFE] should hopefully get around to it ASAP.
  • Electrolux last said they have received the parts and can presumably start repairing it soon.
    • No further debt collection notices.
    • No further invoices either.
    • We should be invoiced for, and pay, the ~$110 transport fee associated with the repair operation.


Busybee 21/07/2018

  • Door members still have to be removed from dispense and mailing list.

Movie nights

  • We have fancy posters for movie nights, thanks to [KAT]. They should be put up around UCC.
  • Wednesdays from 1st August to 15th August, pizza run at 18:30, movie start at 19:00.

Vive Nights

  • [JWB] will discuss with [CFE] when to do them, now working Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Tuesday evenings work, although [JWB] has to leave early. [CFE] and [GIR] can do setup and pizza runs if numbers allow.

Sysadmin "Tech-talk" workshop

  • No time to sort that out yet, will discuss later.
  • Hoping to start it around week 3-4, or even as late as after study break.


  • Camp ran, went very well although we needed more attendees.
    • Technically more attendance compared to last year!
  • [RME] has said it was the most involved camp in the last few years, if not ever!
  • [GOZ] has received the invoice from Camp Lesch.
  • Programming competition didn't end up running, [GOZ] was deathly ill when it should have been run and all the people interested had left afterwards.
  • Movie nights didn't end up running either.
  • Tech talk on Blockchain was good, thanks [superoo7].
  • [JWB] heard that one attendee decided to come because of the variety of activities advertised.
    • [GOZ] Calling it a weekend-long LAN is not a good strategy to gather interest.
  • Food & catering.
    • Shopping list was done at the last minute, spent a total of $572.85 on catering.
    • We had too much food and went "well over-budget".
    • Food was planned based on levels of consumption at Unigames camp.
    • [FVP] notes that we did not have a proper budget for food, estimated budget was around $15-20 per person but it ended up being more like $30 per person.
    • Camp ran at a loss, not sure how much just yet, we were expecting that.
  • There was no documentation of how the network was physically configured in previous years.
  • Laundry was used effectively as a comms cupboard.
  • [GOZ] and [CFE] took measurements of the building, should be able to come up with foolproof plan for network setup next year.
    • TODO: [GOZ] Ask the owner to add some eyelets in convenient locations to attach ropes and cables.
    • Owner of Camp Lesch is aware of the concern about bathrooms.
  • Data usage was minimal, only 37GB of 100GB was used.
  • Need to be more organised in terms of printing things on paper (posters/rosters/activities).
  • [GOZ] This year's camp was not perfect, but it was a huge improvement. We just need more attendees.

Nostalgia Night (11-08-2018)

  • [LCY] is supposed to be taking care of the EMP, not here.
    • Secretary's note: [LCY] showed up just after the meeting and says that EMP is all done.

Action Items from previous meeting


  • [CFE] Implement committee handover documentation archive - ongoing.


  • [FVP] Do Food Safety Training - done.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop for semester 2.


  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules - deferred.


  • [LCY] Write an EMP for Nostalgia Night (11-08-2018), submit it and book the loft - in progress.


  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Continue discussing door policy reviews. ongoing
  • Committee: Everyone with RSA or Food Safety certificates, please send them to [CFE]. done

General Business

  • Door policy will be discussed further next week.
  • [JWB] doesn't want as much onion in the food on camp.
  • [JWB] will make Cobra a Linux machine sometime during the week.
  • [GOZ] Current system of cable locks is inconvenient and makes it difficult for members to do things with the computer.
  • [FVP] Budget for new porcupine.
    • It sounds like [THA] has decided to sell his computer parts to [CFE] and [JWB]
    • [JWB] We should budget around $700
    • [GOZ] We should set a target budget of around $800.
    • TODO: [FVP] to produce specsheet for new porcupine.

Meeting closed at 11:50:28

Current Action Items


  • Ask Camp Lesch to install some eyelets.


  • Ensure that committee has access to the draft door policy before next meeting.


  • [CFE] Implement committee handover documentation archive - ongoing.
  • [CFE] to reimburse [FVP] $318.34 AUD for 3D printer.


  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop for semester 2.
  • [FVP]: Produce specsheet for new porcupine.


  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules - deferred.


  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Continue discussing door policy reviews. ongoing

Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 13:10 on 2018-07-31